CTG press release: 17/03/04
Budget Response from the Charities' Tax Reform Group
The Charities' Tax Reform Group (CTRG) welcomes the following announcements in the 2004 Budget:
- that the Government will grant-aid all the VAT on repairs to listed places of worship carried out between 1 April 2004 - March 2006. It is very important though, that this becomes permanent as soon as possible;
- the scheme to promote employee support for charities through a Payroll Giving scheme for small and medium sized enterprises; and the proposal to explore tax incentives to stimulate corporate giving to charities;
- the moves to encourage more volunteering, particularly among young people;
- that, as part of the Spending Review, the Government will consider extending the VAT refund scheme that has enabled free admission to National Museums and Galleries to university museums;
- that the Government recognises the concerns expressed by conservation and heritage charities about possible adverse changes to Gift Aid. We hope that through negotiation a solution can be found which does not penalise arrangements that have been entered into by charities in good faith.